MARMI S.A. is the ONLY company in Crete active in the sector of bitumen emulsions production, which have been in the market for decades. The company has established, documented and maintains a Factory Production Control System (FPC) for bitumen emulsions, to ensure that the material produced complies with the features specified in the Declaration of Performance. Bitumen emulsions are certified in accordance with the international standard BS EN 13808: 2013 and are CE marked. Their production takes place in the premises of the company in the Industrial Zone of Herakleio
Bitumen emulsions belong in the category of liquid bitumen materials and consist of asphalt, water and various chemical additives. They are divided into two categories: cationic (acidic) and anionic (alkaline). Alkaline emulsions adhere to limestone aggregates, while acidic adhere to silicates and limestone, thus covering almost the entire specter of aggregates, also demonstrating special resistance to frost and storage.
Due to the above advantages, acidic emulsions are formally established by the application of the Standard Technical Specification A-203/1966, and are almost solely used as asphaltic material for the construction of Roads and Airports in various asphalt works, such as:
- Base undercoating
- Adhesive coating
- Sealing coating
- Special applications
The raw materials used for the production of bitumen emulsions are the following:
- Asphalt 80/100
- HCl (hydrochloric acid)
- Chemical additives (Fluidizers, Emulsifiers)
MARMI S.A. uses raw materials bought exclusively from certified suppliers.
The production of bitumen emulsions takes place based on the following general flow chart:
The production capacity of the bitumen emulsions production unit can reach up to 20 tons per day for each product.
The company has certified 2 types of bitumen emulsions (mostly used in Greece) in accordance with the requirements of the international standard BS EN 13808:2013.
|TYPE||FEATURES||FIELD OF APPLICATION|
|ΚΕ – 1
(Asphaltic Adhesive Coating)
|Cationic (acidic) bitumen emulsion of fast decomposition and low viscosity||Its purpose is to bond the two surfaces (old and new) to work as a single layer.|
|ΚΕ – 5
(Bitumen undercoating or petroleum)
|Cationic (acidic) bitumen emulsion of semi-slow decomposition and low viscosity||Applied in the form of spraying on pavement base layers (3 A). Its purpose is to waterproof the impregnated layer by filling the capillary pores and connect the base with the asphalt layer to be subsequently paved.|
STORAGE AND PACKAGING
Temporary storage of emulsions can take place in two tanks with a total capacity of 8 tons. Packaging is done in barrels of 200kg, each of which bearing the following details:
- Product Type
- Production Date
The barrels containing the emulsions are disposable and, after being emptied, are transported for recycling. The maximum time the emulsion can remain in the barrels should not exceed two (2) months from its production and packaging. In order for these two different products to be easily identifiable when packaged in barrels, the color of each barrel depending on the type of emulsion it contains is YELLOW for KE1 and RED for KE5.
Spraying of bitumen emulsions on roadworks usually takes place with the use of suitable vehicles equipped with special spray nozzles on the back, from where the bituminous material is diffused. Our company has 2 spraying vehicles (Federal) for the execution of roadworks and road maintenance. In small-scale works, the application of emulsions can be carried out with the use of “tumbo” or other tools.
Prior to their application, special attention should be paid to the following:
- The surface the emulsion is about to be sprayed on must be clean and free from standing water.
- The product should be used as received and should be diluted with water or asphalt.
- The emulsion is sprayed evenly over the surface of the pavement, and spraying excess material must be avoided.
- The bitumen emulsion should be left to be decomposed (turning from brown to black) for a few minutes before the asphalt is paved.
The produced material’s outstanding quality is ensured through the following:
- Exclusive cooperation with certified raw material suppliers
- Continuous monitoring during the production process.
- The company’s qualified staff, both in the production division and for paving the material produced.
- Performing laboratory tests on a daily and monthly basis.
- Easy product tracking or tracing to facilitate any non-compliance and investigate the time phase it occurred (e.g. production, transport, layering phase).
- Tracing of the final product includes the following:
- Creation of records with all the results of the measurements/tests related to the quality of the material produced.
- Creation of a registry-logbook by the Production Manager.
- Issue of a dispatch note for every production batch.
- Creation of an electronic file for all of the above.